You are here: Home / Graduate

Why Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies?

protest at Allen Street Gate

Students can earn a dual-title Master’s degree (M.A./ M.S.) or a dual-title Ph.D. in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. All dual-title degrees must be paired and completed simultaneously with a graduate degree in one of our partner programs: Art Education, Communication Arts and Sciences, Comparative Literature, Curriculum and Instruction, English, French and Francophone Studies, Geography, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, and Rural Sociology. (Please note that stand-alone master's degrees are not available in every unit.) For students outside of these twelve degree programs, we offer a graduate minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.

Our dual-title master’s and Ph.D. degrees provide students conceptual, methodological and pedagogical training in the field of Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Our graduate program embraces intersectional and transnational feminist approaches to knowledge production, pedagogy, and community engagement. Faculty and graduate students in WGSS use interdisciplinary frameworks to research questions that span the arts, humanities, and the social sciences. Because this degree is combined with a master’s or Ph.D. from one of our partner departments, students are well-prepared to produce cutting-edge, interdisciplinary scholarship; to teach across both disciplines; and to excel in a career in either field.

For more information please contact our Graduate Program Director, Jennifer Wagner-Lawlor,