This interdisciplinary major is designed to develop a broad understanding of the study of women and women’s perspectives in all areas of academic scholarship. The focus is on feminist analyses of women’s lives, of women’s social, cultural, and scientific contributions, and of the structure of sex/gender systems. The interdisciplinary and inclusive nature of the field is reflected in a curricular structure that includes courses cross-listed with a wide variety of departments, courses that deal with aspects of women’s lives throughout history, and courses that recognize the diversities of culture, race, gender, religion, ethnicity, age, disability, and sexual orientation.
127A Burrowes Building
University Park , PA 16802
Office Phone: (814) 863-8559
Schedule an appointment: starfish.psu.edu
For the Bachelor of Arts degree in Women’s Studies, a minimum of 123 credits is required:
- General Education 45
- Electives 18
- Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements 24
- Requirements for the Major 36
3 of the 24 credits for Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements are included in the Requirements for the Major, General Education, or Electives and 0-12 credits are included in Electives if foreign language proficiency is demonstrated by examination.
Per Senate Policy 83-80.5, the college dean or campus chancellor and program faculty may require up to 24 credits of course work in the major to be taken at the location or in the college or program where the degree is earned. For more information, check the Recommended Academic Plan for your intended program.
- WMNST 301N: Sexualities, Gender and Power: Feminist Thought and Politics 3
- WMNST 400N: Debates in Contemporary Feminism 3
- WMNST 492: Contemporary Feminist Analysis: The Capstone Senior Seminar 3
Select one of the following:
- WMNST 83N:First-Year Seminar in Women’s Studies
- WMNST 100: Introduction to Women’s and Gender Studies
- WMNST 106N: Representing Women and Gender in Literature, Art and Popular Cultures
Select one of the following:
SUPPORTING COURSES AND RELATED AREAS
Select 6 credits from the program-approved list at the 100-200 level
Select 15 credits (at least 3 credits at the 400 level) in Women’s Studies from the program-approved list and in consultation with an adviser, including:
- 3 credits of arts and humanities courses
- 6 credits of natural or social sciences courses
- 3 credits that focus on non-Western women
- 3 credits that focus on women of color in the United States
Becoming a Major
To become a major, students must have a minimum of third semester classification and a minimum 2.0 GPA. Students who meet entry-to-major criteria may apply using LionPATH’s Update Academics function. A student who wishes to enter a major with Administrative Enrollment Controls will use LionPATH’s Update Academics to request entrance to the major. To participate in this process, students will actively request entrance to administratively controlled majors when they are within an established credit window, have completed specified courses, and have earned the stated grade-point average.